Thursday, May 22, 2008

Few random tidbits I've thought of blogging, but napped instead

So back when I started this radiation process I had all these thoughts of what I should blog about...but since I was still fresh off of Chemo I was dragging a bit much to stay up late and write..and all my waking moments seem to revolve around doing just the basics (plus a little stamping and a few trips to bowl with my alliance friends) Somehow those appointments at Huntsman seem to throw my life as a "lady of leisure" into tumult and I am a lady of dashing from one task to the next--but smiling that I can actually dash!

There didn't seem to be much of a break between Chemo and the radiation process but I did have the chance to do a walk through with my friend Susan who started her radiation just before my last chemo--it was nice to know what I was getting myself into and the one thing I remember most was listening to the big steel door clang shut as the techs left her in the room and turned on the machines to make sure they were lined up just right--that room was cold and big..and the clank of the door seemed ominous as if sealing the dangerous stuff in the room with you like something from a futuristic horror film. I just realized a few radiations ago that I never hear the door clank at the Huntsman..but I have looked, it is big and steel with a large "warning radiation" symbol front and center--one of these days I'll remember to ask if they shut it when they head out to turn on the radiation.

One thing Susan didn't prepare me for was that it would hurt when they did my tattoos. I had been harassing my kids for weeks about what I was going to get tattooed on my left breast...butterflies, hearts, KJ, a skull and crossbones...anything I could to torment them. Ryan was the most bugged by my teasing...perhaps because there is a part of him that knows I have a wicked side and that I might not just be teasing! I was stamping with a few girlfriends the day before my tattoo appt and dramatically I mentioned that I might get "KEN" emblazoned acrossed my chest. My sweet friend questioned "TEN???" and my reply was quick "yep, a 1o over the left breast and a 9 over the right since it is missing its nipple!" This was getting to be too much fun!

So the first thing I did when I met with my tattoo artist was to ask if she could tattoo something nice for me...she assured me she could, but that she wasn't a very good artist, so I opted for the regular blue ink dots. Once she had me marked and checked out by the doc, she dabbed some ink on the spots and promptly jabbed me with something pokey! Ouch!! No one mentioned that it hurt! When I ouched she said quickly--"sorry about that, I had a patient once who had lots of real tattoos and she told me these hurt worse than getting the real deal" I don't know if that's true...but it was definitely worse than waxing my legs and I don't plan to repeat either experience!

Just to make things interesting I did stop by Zurchers to stock up on a few tattoos before I went home--I had some good pirate ones, but somehow lost them in the car before I got home...but was saved by my neighbor who raided her son's collection to provide me with a great dragonfly which I put on the most visible tattoo and then added a frog on a lily pad, a gecko, a butterfly and a hibiscus blossom to cover each of my dots--Ryan raised his eye brow for at least a minute (see, he really doesn't trust me to obey the rules!) and Cathryn was immediately unimpressed with my "plastic border" that made it obvious that I was faking (15 years olds DO know everything!). Rachel and Andria were the most impressed...and Ken sort of liked them too, although I'm sure he would have like the "10" and "9" even better!

No comments: